Monday, April 2, 2007

Goodbye, Shanghai

it seemed so long ago that i reluctantly found myself trapped in your breakneck society...trying to avoid being swept aside by the ferocity of the constant reinvention of yourself...cursing your inhospitable amalgamation of reckless drivers, incessant spitting, and unbreathable smog.

but what can i say, beneath your developing exterior, you have also surprised me with the openness in which you have welcomed me...you have seduced me with your grandeur and potential...but most importantly, you have inspired me to experience and nurtured me to grow.

it will be nearly five months since i've joined you, but now we must part ways. but fitting to your temporary and transient nature, i will just be another momentary character in your continual existence. and i will also remember you as you are...a city of history, a metropolis of potential, a personality that has captivated my mind.

2 comments:

lydia said...

now i really need to remember taking my keys each time i go out..there will be no one running all the way back from attica for me when your brother is away..

take care drew. we are here in shanghai for you.

Unknown said...

You are always welcome to Shanghai, we will meet someday there again.
^___^