Friday, March 2, 2007

Internet Anonymous

my name is Andrew, and i'm an internet-aholic

"Hi, Andrew"

i am here, thinking i should submit myself to a higher power. and that power will be anything outside the confines of wi-fi. a world where the light that shines on my face will be from the sun and not the soft fluorescence of my computer monitor; a world where the music i hear will be the ambient noises of birds chirping and winds blowing (wait, i'm in shanghai...so honking horns and hocking loogies) and not the playlist from iTunes or the videos from YouTube; a world where films are appreciated in theaters and not downloaded from torrents; a world where the feel of human contact is tangible and not communicated through instant messages; and a world where news and life are experienced and not just read off RSS.

yes yes...i am addicted to the internet. the only consolation to myself is that i'm not like this person.

but if my eyes weren't glued to Digg, then my wonderful MacBook would be lacking such great tools such as Peel or such awesome screensavers such as Soundstream (those two things being only for OSX, so PCs...eat your heart out). and being how my other sources of media are relegated to CCTV and in a language i can barely understand, i must rely on news feeds to hear about the latest round of barak vs. clinton, of dealings of beltway politics, of james cameron's Christianity-debunked documentary, or of bald britney's newest embarrassment.

so though my day-to-day activities consist of refreshing webpages and exercising (and by that, i mean challenging my brain to faster sudoku times), i have given myself ample justification to turn a blind eye to this addiction. after all, i'm not killing my lungs with smoke and tar or unknowingly driving down any one-way streets...so leave me alone and don't send me here.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

go out and get some sun! you're gonna come back sickly pale. Bring me back a wii as well. thanks.