Sunday, August 1, 2010

Adjustments

on the eve of my third week with the new job, i'm still finding myself uneasy and tepid about my surroundings. though it's normal and i do have the advantage of having been around the hill before, i'm just not a big fan of not having a sure footing.

but in the middle of last week, i walked to my desk to find an item that i had been waiting for. it was a three part process, which made it more enjoyable when it finally arrived to my cubicle.

it's a framed copy of what's called a "redline" document. in this case, it's of the health reform law...the first and last page with the signatures of the president, the veep, and the speaker. and on the front, it was graciously signed by my previous employer, senator max baucus.

i've seen other staffers with redlines neatly framed in their offices and i've always admired them as signs of accomplishment for their work. and i know i haven't done anything to prove myself in my new position, but hanging this up next to my desk at least made me felt like i belonged there as opposed to just lucking into it.

so as tiny a symbolic gesture it is...it's helped me ease into my third week and hopefully the many weeks to come.

1 comments:

Vietca said...

Too bad there isn't a like button for Blogger. =)